DESIGN AND FABRICATION OF PNEUMATIC DRILL JIG FOR REDUCING LEAD TIME
Our project is based on the need for the work holding devices. This design and fabrication which will enable the operation like drilling, reaming, tapping process easier. Our project is mainly composed of design and fabrication of the “PNEUMATIC DRILL JIG” which cover the absolute design to the specified dimensions of the work piece. This box jig is economical means to produce
This pneumatic drill jig is provided with pneumatic clamping arrangement. This type of clamping arrangement saves the setting time, marking time, punching time etc. when compressed air is taken from a convenient medium to provide pope clamping force and good gripping to the component. As the quantity to produce is large the proposed pneumatic drill jig fulfills the mass production requirement in the shop. Clamping can be done by releasing the pressured air using valves.
The component is placed in between the Jig plate and the locator, which is on the piston rod. When the valve is opened, the compressed air from the compressor will enter into the cylinder through a hole at the bottom of the cylinder. The piston inside the cylinder is made to push in the upward direction. When the piston moves the locator clamps the component rigidly. Now the component is ready for drilling operation.
When the two-way valve is closed the piston will return to bottom position to release the clamps. When we close the valve, the piston will come in very high force in downward direction. So these are chances for the damage of piston. To avoid this, we are using FLOW CONTROL VALVE to control the flow of piston. This can be repeated with the same procedure as described above.
|DESIGN AND FABRICATION OF PNEUMATIC DRILL JIG FOR REDUCING LEAD TIME|
- It eliminates the individual marking, positioning and frequent checking.
- The operation time is reduced due to increase in speed, feed and depth of cut because of high clamping rigidity.
- It is very much useful in mass production.
- It makes possible to employ unskilled or semi skilled operator to make savings in labor cost.
- It partially automates the tools.
- It reduces the expenditures on quality control of machine parts.
- It is only used for small size components.
- Forces causing deflection may come from handling