Some Dimensioning Techniques Used in Machine drawing
A drawing of a component, in addition to providing complete shape description, must also furnish information regarding the size description. These are provided through the distances between the surfaces, location of holes, nature of surface finsih, type of material, etc. The expression of these features on a drawing, using lines, symbols, figures and notes is called dimensioning.
2. Dimensions should be placed outside the views, if unavoidable, they may be placed inside if more clear and easy to read.
3. No Dimensions should be repeated.
5. Dimensions lines should be placed at least 8 mm, away from outlines and from each other.
7. If there are number of dimensions, the smaller one should be nearer to the view, as shown in fig.
9. When a number parallel dimension lines are to be drawn, they are shown staggered as shown in fig.
12. When there are of small holes, their diameters should be given by a notes as shown in figure
13. Angular dimensions may be shown by one of the method shown.
14. Countersunk and threading are shown as below.
15. Symbols for methods of projection must be shown on drawings.